Nothing spoils a holiday faster than noisy kids running around out of control, all hyped up on sugar with nothing to do. So here’s some ideas for keeping your kids entertained around the dinner table this Thanksgiving, while they wait for the meal to be served or afterwards, when grownups are winding down and hoping to relax.
Easel Paper Makes For A Fun Tablecloth!
Run some easel paper across the length of the table and pre-trace some handprints or show the kids how to do it. These make great prompts for handprint turkeys! Add some leaves for more coloring fun! If you don’t have easel paper, that’s okay! Cut open brown paper bags, and tape them print side down to the table.
Don’t forget the crayons! These little pilgrim hat crayon holders are really easy to make! Here’s what you’ll need…
Pilgrim Hat Crayon Holder:
Black paper cups
Black construction paper or card stock
Yellow construction paper or card stock
White construction paper or card stock
Glue stick or hot glue gun and glue gun sticks
- Cut out the bottom of the cup and place the cut side up.
- Cut out a round black circle from your construction paper and glue the cup in the center of it.
- Cut a yellow strip of paper long enough to wrap around the bottom of the cup. Glue strip in place.
- Cut out a small white square. This will sit behind the buckle.
- Cut out a yellow square buckle (A square with the center removed.)
- Glue the buckle over the white square.
- Glue the finished buckle over the seam of the yellow strap at the bottom of the cup.
- Fill with crayons.
To complete the table, tie up some coloring pages. Add a pumpkin and some homemade or store bought headbands for a little festive fun.
Here are some FREE coloring sheets for the littles.
The big kids will appreciate a little something special too. A colorful tablecloth and some rolled up activity pages tied off with construction paper leaves that have their names on them ought to do the trick!
Try these FREE activity pages for them!
I hope these ideas help make your Thanksgiving a little calmer and a lot more fun for the kids!